Monday, February 15, 2021

Just Do it (Nike)!

A few weeks ago I noticed my motivation seriously dropping to get out there and get my workouts in.  Something about the cold dark of winter, or the length of marathon training with weeks and weeks to go.  Honestly, I've been working consistently for over 10 years...a little hit and miss before that, but pretty solid for some time.  Working out is a lifestyle for me.  The hardest part about going on vacation for my husband and I is trying to figure out how to get in a run, other cardio, or a strength workout.  Going on vacations seriously mess up the normal routine and I'm always happy to get back to it.

So, I've still been working out...but with motivation lacking, it ended up that I waisted time stalling.  Time that could be spent doing other important things: working, spending time with my family, cleaning my house, reading that list of books I have stacking up, or writing this blog....hmm.

About 3 weeks ago when our family schedule suddenly changed I realized that if I wanted time for all the things I needed to do and still have time for the want to dos, I better get my workout stalling under control.  Honestly guys, this is what it looked like for a few days: Alarm goes off, stubble mostly asleep to the bathroom.  Turn on the light (ahh!), force myself into my workout clothes.   Stumble to the living room for stretches...barely awake now.  I DO not look at my phone, turn on my computer, open a book...anything.  I already know those are a major time sucks and there's always the article that needs read, the email that needs responding to immediately (but really...is anyone else checking email before 6:00 A.M.). Stretches done...now I'm putting on my shoes and heading out the door for a run or to the garage for a bike-ride or strength.  Okay, I'm outside...and it's freezing.  I guess I better get running to warm up.  Alright, I'm running now...kind of.  Somewhere within the first 10 minutes, I wake up, and I'm ready to workout.  My mind wakes up, my energy engages, and I have a great workout.  Is this how you non-morning people always feel?...because really, it's craziness.  In the months when it's not dark and cold, the sun comes up, the bird starts singing and I wake up ready for action. It's blissful!

The forcing is getting easier and I'm getting into a better routine again of just getting up and going.  What got me through and helped me force myself during the last few weeks...nothing less than Nike's slogan, "Just Do It!".  But I'm still tired, I don't want to get out of bed... "Just do it".  I don't want to get on my workout clothes.  It's too cold.  "Just Do It."  Stretching is boring, takes too long, and I hate stretching.  "Just Do It".  It's REALLY cold.  I don't want to go outside.  I don't feel like running.  "Just Do It!".  And somehow even when my heart is not into it my body is and things happen.  I end up with the sense of accomplishment that I did my workout and I can move on to the rest of my day.  Running also gives me a lot of energy (not every time), and so I feel a lot better physically and emotionally when I run.

Looking back I've had this approach to exercise for a long time, but didn't have words for it.  I've often had people ask me how I can run so far, so fast, so long...blah, blah, blah.  It's called training.  You pick a plan or make your own and you follow it.  Every day I know my workout and I get up and do it.  Is it always exciting?  No.  Do I always hit my fastest times?  Absolutely not.  Actually most of the time my workout doesn't even say to hit my fastest time (about that another time).  Workouts get down, progress happens by this kind of attitude...you just get it done.

Another key to long-term success has been to have a set time that I KNOW works!  When I started distance training, I had a baby and some other little kids at home.  That was no joke of a time to take on something that ambitious.  How did I make it work?  I found a time, a place, etc. that I knew would work at least 95% of the time.  So, for me, first thing in the morning was that time.  My husband works pretty early in the morning and I knew he'd be around to help with the kids if I could get my workout in before he left.  Unfortunately (and not), he also started training, so long weekend runs became difficult.  We worked it out with me still running early morning, but I spent most of those years with really little kids on my treadmill in the garage with my baby monitor close by.  I trained for my first 3 marathons on a treadmill.  I know it sounds crazy, and it was, but it was what needed to happen to make it work for our family.

Anyway, I guess my takeaway is that it's so important to not let excuses get in the way of your goals.  If something is really important to you, make it work in your life.  I'm still learning how to apply this principle to other aspects of my life (especially food).  I'm excited to keep going through those days when there are slumps in motivation and reach my upcoming goals...and I'm super excited for the sun and birds to come back (come on spring!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, so please keep it family-friendly if you want your comment to be published.

Dawn Running - Email #2 - Fall Leaves

Hey Listener, First off, I wanted to make sure you didn't miss the last two episodes. Ep. 33: Hi, I'm Lost .  Sit down and relax for...