Thursday, January 28, 2021

Injury - It keeps going and going and going

 This will likely be the first of many posts on injury.  I've dealt with running-related injuries my entire life.  I remember in my early teens, even though, I was only running 10 - 15 miles a week, I'd often have major pain in my shins and ankles.  My mom would try and massage them (good lady!) and give me ankle strengthening exercises to try, but the reality was that I was in pain, and if I didn't run the pain was reduced.  I think it was around that time that I went to a Dr. and got orthotics...but neither my parents nor I remember those details clearly.

When I was a junior in High School I was talking to a friend who told me about cross-country.  Coming from a not running family, I honestly had no idea there was such a sport and I was amazed and told her, "I run 3 miles all the time."  I started training with the High School team that summer and it was a blast until it wasn't.  I was quickly injured and had to stop running with the team or even by myself as much. Other things become a priority (work mostly) and in the fall my friend asked if I was still injured.  I told her I wasn't, but that I hadn't practiced and I wouldn't be any good at that point.  So, I never ran a race, not one.  Still one of my High School regrets.  I didn't understand at the time that injury was COMMON for runners and especially with the lack of training that I had and the limited knowledge of my coach, it was bound to happen.

The stories could continue on and on.  It took me a while to learn that if I wanted to stay injury-free, I could only run 3 days a week.  Then I learned that I had to go at my own pace.  Of course, if I try and go at a much faster pace my lungs and muscles start streaming before the injury has a chance to develop, but if I run a much slower pace than I'm used to my injuries flair up again in a matter of a few weeks.  I've also learned that I have to do strength workouts, learned little adjustments to my gait to prevent injury, found shoes that work better for me, on and on...all to stay not injured.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, so please keep it family-friendly if you want your comment to be published.

Dawn Running - Email #2 - Fall Leaves

Hey Listener, First off, I wanted to make sure you didn't miss the last two episodes. Ep. 33: Hi, I'm Lost .  Sit down and relax for...