Thursday, January 21, 2021

Initial Thoughts

 I'm not really sure why I'm starting this blog.  I feel like it's something that will help me to get out some of my thoughts, but hopefully help and inspire others as well.  The truth is, I love running.  I always have.  The family I grew up in wasn't really a sports family, so I discovered athletics at a little older age.  When I was 11 or 12 I started hanging around with a group of girls that were TOTALLY into sports and they became my people.  We, with all the neighborhood boys, spent our days playing: basketball, football, hockey, tennis, you name it, we did it.  I also got involved with Jr. League basketball and flag-football teams.  Fun times!  There was something about sports that I totally loved.  I love the exhilaration of running up and down a field or court, beating as many people there as I could, and just feeling like I could keep going forever.  What I didn't like was my hand-eye coordination was a little lacking. With practice, I overcame some of that, but not a lot.

Around that same time, I noticed runners out "jogging" every once in a while and so I decided I could give that a try.  I pushed myself a little further each time until I could run to the end of my neighborhood and back, which just so happened to be 3 miles.  That was the beginning.  Looking back now, I realize my love for other sports stemmed from my love for running.  Running has become a way of life for me, but it was very gradual...a story for another time.

So, why the blog?  Here's the truth.  I spend more time thinking about running than anyone around me actually wants to hear about running, so I think this will be a good outlet.  I don't have many runner friends right now and I can see people's eyes glaze over when I've been talking about running for too long.  If you're an enthusiastic runner or even passionate about another subject, you know what I'm talking about.  This way I can talk about running, either just to myself or to readers who know what they are getting themselves into.  You've been warned!  If you are interested in talking about running, talk away.  Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments, suggest topics for posts, or let me know if you'd be willing to be a guest blogger.  So, with that, welcome to my blog.  I run a lot, but even more, I think about running, and I want to talk about it...with anyone (or no one) who will listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, so please keep it family-friendly if you want your comment to be published.

Dawn Running - Email #2 - Fall Leaves

Hey Listener, First off, I wanted to make sure you didn't miss the last two episodes. Ep. 33: Hi, I'm Lost .  Sit down and relax for...